On an average, people spend one third of their lives sleeping. Everyone wants comfort in whatever they do. Then why not get utmost comfort, while sleeping. Your sleep becomes a lot more comfortable when you lie on a well-made mattress. Most people don’t understand the importance of researching a mattress.
A mattress is a part of your furniture that is being used the most and changed the least. A nicely made mattress will provide comfort for a long term while a bad choice may cause a person feel pain and discomfort. Choosing the size and material of mattress properly is important as it’s a long term purchase.
Let’s see how you can buy the best one for you.
The first thing to decide before buying a mattress is its comfort level. Typically mattresses come in three comfort level.
- Firm – A firm mattress gives a harder feel than any other types of mattresses. It provides health benefit to your body by keeping it straight. In addition, the body weight gets equally distributed all over the mattress.
- Plush – A plush mattresses includes a soft layer of cushioning inside the mattress to provide you with some extra comfort. It has got both firm and soft. The later is often chosen.
- Pillow Top – A pillow top mattress is the softest of all. It’s a mix of comfort, support and softness. It is a popular buy for many people.
Types of mattresses
After comfort level understand the type of mattress. Following are the types of mattresses available in the market.
- Innerspring mattress – It is a series of individual coils that is properly put inside the top and bottom layers of the mattress. There are varieties in innerspring mattresses depending upon the number, shape, design and alignment of coils.
- Memory foam mattress – This kind of mattress is manufactured from visco elastic memory foam that gives high level of comfort and support. These mattresses are dense but provide both support and comfort.
- Latex mattresses – In this there is latex foam core for the support. Latex mattresses are further of two types, made of natural latex and synthetic latex.
Size of mattresses
After choosing your type and comfort level you have to choose the size of your mattress. First thing to decide the size of the mattress is to know your own height and width. Secondly you need to decide the amount of extra space needed around yourself to feel comfortable. The mattress should be at least ten to fifteen centimetre’s longer than your own body.
Mattresses come in different sizes as listed below.
- Single – 1880 x 920 cm sq.
Single mattresses are very popular among children. Since growing children have started sleeping alone from a small age these mattresses serves the purpose.
- King Single – 2030 x 1070 cm sq.
A King Single mattress is a larger version of a solo mattress for people, who want to have a large space but not a double mattress.
- Double – 1880 x 1380 cm sq.
Double mattress is common in couples, who sleep together. It is also called a full bed mattress. It has the limitation that people with height less than 160 cm can only sleep comfortably in these mattresses.
- Queen – 2030 x 1530 cm sq.
Queen mattress is a bit larger than double mattress and most of the people find this suitable for their beds. Most of the couples prefer to buy this one.
- King – 2030 x 1830 cm sq.
King mattress is the largest of all and basically one foot broader than the queen mattress. Usually people who have babies or want greater buffer space while sleeping go for this kind.
These are standard mattresses size throughout the world, but you have the option of ordering a custom size as well.
It’s important to choose a mattress, accordingly. Sleep is an integral part of one’s life and a good snooze helps to relax and maintain proper overall health.